How to assign employees to timesheet projects.
Benefits of assigning employees to projects
Timesheets should be as short and relevant as possible. Employees should not have to dig through lists of projects to find the one they are working on, just so they can enter daily hours. Reducing the list of projects to only those that employees work on is huge time-saver and removes the ‘hassle factor’ of entering timesheet hours.
It’s easy to accidently put time into the wrong project, especially if names are similar. Reducing the number of projects naturally minimizes mistakes.
Faster timesheet entry
Scrolling through a long list takes time, not to mention the frustration and hassle. Assigning employees to projects reduces the size of the list and makes finding the right one quicker. Your employees will thank you.
Not every employee should see every project. Just the name of a particular project or client could be a security risk. Assigning users to projects means they only see the ones they are allowed to see. They don’t see projects they are not assigned to.
A small list is faster to build and display. Long lists containing hundreds of projects can be slow. And can waste network bandwidth. So reducing the size of the project list by assigning users can improve system performance.
How to assign employees to projects
- Choose Tools, Projects
- Click on a project
- Click in the ‘Assign to users’ field in the properties at the right
- Click the ‘…’ button in that field
- Or, right-click on the project and choose ‘Assign Users…’
- A dialog appears with a list of groups and users
- Place a check next to each user or group that should see the project
- Click OK, OK
How to assign employees to tasks
After assigning users to projects, you should consider assigning them to tasks. That is, if you are using project tasks under your projects. Assigning users to tasks has the same benefit as assigning to projects.
- Click the Project Tasks tab in the main window
- Click on a task to edit it
- Open the ‘Users’ section
- Click on the ‘Users’ field
- Click the dropdown button at the right side
- Choose users and groups from the list
Also see: YouTube: Project Revenue Video